Wearing a low cut shirt or dress without the right bra can make even a Victoria’s Secret model feel self-conscious on a bad day. So when it comes to us, mere mortals, especially if our breasts have become fast friends with gravity, finding the right bra is as essential as air to breathe. Now I’ve read some crazy stories about sagging breasts, correction bras that don’t do justice for sagging breasts, so in honor of them, we will be looking for the best bras for sagging breasts.
A tiny disclaimer however – even the best bras can’t reverse sagging breasts, but they sure can lift them and give them a more uplifting appearance. Even more, in this article you will find methods that can help in preventing your breasts from becoming saggy.
Why do breasts get saggy?
A popular misconception is that your breasts start to sag only as you age, but the list of reasons is actually a bit more diverse. Of course age plays the main role for many women, however, it’s also possible for the breasts to sag at a fairly young age. We can’t forget things like genetics, weight, pregnancy, breast size and breast feeding that all can contribute to the southward sag of “the girls”. If you think none of the above reasons fit you, then perhaps that is just the natural shape of your breasts.
The more medical reason why any one of these factors cause breast sagging is quite simple – the health of the ligaments and skin surrounding your breasts. Increased weight and larger breast sizes are more vulnerable to the effects of gravity. Our “good friend” gravity pulls the breast tissue downwards and causes the ligaments to weaken and surrounding skin to lose elasticity. In addition, sports can also weaken the ligaments and lead to the sagging of your breasts as well as the very bad habit of smoking.
What is the best bra style for sagging breasts?
Bras provide the needed support to your breasts, however, not any bra type will do for sagging ones. By not wearing a correct fitting bra, the tissues that hold your breasts up, will start to stretch, break, and lose their elasticity. The only way to fix this is to wear a correct supportive bra. Unfortunately, it won’t fix the sagging, but it will prevent future stretching and give a more youthful look. That is why it is important to look for the correct bra style for your breasts.
So based on the best reviews of bras for sagging breasts, here are some styles and tips when choosing a bra:
- Try to look for bras with 3 or more hooks for that extra strength.
- Also try to have extra hooks on both sides vertically and horizontally. This will come in handy when your bra will have stretched a bit, because you will be able to use the other hooks for tighter fix.
- Avoid single-layer bras with molded cups as these do not provide sufficient support. Molded cup bras are shaped in a specific way, and if your breasts aren’t shaped like that, they’re just not going to fit correctly.
- Choose soft cup bras with underwires so you can get your breasts fully supported and covered. When you have sagging breasts it’s a lot easier to fit and to fill out a soft cup bra.
- Prefer soft cup bras with seams in the cup for a perfectly shaped and minimized look. But if you’re not a fan of seams showing through your clothes, you can always go with the soft seamless cup bra.
The Best Bra for Sagging Breasts
Let’s finally get down to business and look at the best bras for sagging breasts that are currently on the market. This bra is a long-time Chantelle bestseller designed for all-day comfort and support. It pushes forward and lifts your breasts away from your stomach, so in addition you will look slimmer. The seams across the cups provide great support and lift. The short underwires will make for a comfortable wearing, because they won’t dig into your arms the way some standard wires do.
An added bonus is that it looks elegant, comes in plenty of beautiful colors and lays flat under clothing. Even though this is an unlined bra, the lace is thick enough to conceal any unwanted attention to your nipples. Based on reviews, ladies are crazy for this bra, and to quote one overly satisfied consumer:
“There may be antigravity thingies installed in the cups. I’m not sure, but I have my suspicions.”
So there’s that! All in all this really seem to be the best bra for sagging breasts. The only con is that they may get a bit pricey, however it is more than worth it in the long haul.
The Best Bra for Large Sagging Breasts
It sometimes seems that having large breasts is more of a curse than a blessing. Finding a pretty bra is hard enough as it is, add to that a couple of extra bra sizes and it seems nearly impossible. Also if you are well endowed, it is important to wear properly fitted bras to prevent your breasts from sagging. So you see finding the right bra as a big busted woman is a pain in the neck.
Well thankfully, we’ve taken that pain away and found the best bra for heavy sagging breasts. This sleek and seamless bra gives you plenty of lift and smooth support. The slightly stretchy cup allows a natural shape and for the breast to settle in the cup. The straps are not too wide, but are very firm and adjustable. It has a heavy underwire that completely surrounds the breast, leaving no room for your breasts to “sneak out” from the sides. Additionally, this bra completely separates your “girls” for no more uni-boob looks.
Sadly, however, if you’re a fan of shirts with lower necklines, some styles don’t go well with this supportive bra. But looking on the bright side, it’s only some, not all styles. If you looking for a broader selection you might also want to take a look at Simply Be intimate sets.
The Best Push-Up Bra for Sagging Breasts
This Maidenform’s lifting bra for sagging breasts is the best friend you never knew you needed. The ample padding will give you the shape and fullness you have coveted for a long time without making your breasts look pointy or unnatural. It also comes in many different styles and colors and will give your breasts that “va-va-voom” appearance.
Even though this is the best bra for lift, just like any other push-up bra, it may not suite for everyday wear. Although that really depends on each person individually.
Meanwhile, I can say that this is a very well made bra from high quality materials. The fit is super comfortable for a push-up bra and some even say that it’s 10 times better than any Victoria’s Secret bra. All in all, this deserves to be amongst the best bras for sagging breasts, and just like the other bras on this list, it is also mentioned in countless other recommended bra lists.
How to measure bra size for sagging breasts?
To be honest this is something every woman should read and learn how to do. It doesn’t matter if you’re breasts are sagging or not, this will come in handy someday. So here it is, a couple of tips and steps we found on how to measure your bra size:
Insert your fingers under the band of your bra. If you are able to put more than two fingers between the band of your bra and your chest, your bra is too big. The bra band usually provides the majority of the support for your breasts, therefore a band that is too big contributes to them sagging. If that is the issue, try to move down one band size and up one cup size.
To determine your bra size use online resources (usually lingerie websites provide an online calculator to ease your life a bit) or our simple guide – 3 Easy Steps To Measure Bra Size.
If both tips still doesn’t seem to help you can always get an assistant or a bra-fitting professional to measure you for the bra that will best fit you. Keep in mind, even though you think their measurements aren’t accurate and there’s no way your actual size is two sizes smaller or bigger. These ladies know what they’re doing and are professionals. It will also help that they will instantly search for the right bra for you so you can try it on right then and there.
What they will do is measure around your chest just under your breasts, making sure the tape measure is snug but not too tight. The tape measure should go straight across your back and rest flat on your skin. Obtain the most accurate band size by pulling up on your bra straps so you pull your breasts high enough for your assistant to get the measuring tape right under your breasts. Add 2 to 3 inches to the measurement, and voila, you should get the most accurate band size.
Prevent your breasts from sagging
As mentioned earlier there is no remedy that can help you fix your already sagging breasts, however there are plenty of things you can do to prevent it from going further. You can use these tips to work with what you have and give your breasts the TLC that they need and deserve.
- Exfoliate your skin daily to remove dead skin cells and improve the skin’s elasticity. Massage wet skin with a body scrub, loofah or exfoliation glove in clock-wise movements for about 5-10 minutes every day, it really is just that easy.
- Maintain a steady weight by having a balanced diet and exercising. Gaining and losing weight can cause changes in your whole body including the breasts. Gaining weight causes the breasts to enlarge, and the skin to stretch, so in turn when you lose weight, the breast skin can look stretched giving a saggy appearance. Therefore, exercise is essential in helping you get your saggy breasts back in shape.
- Wear a sports bra when exercising, to reduce the impact of motion. We don’t want to harm our breasts even more whilst trying to do them good, don’t we?!
Healthy lifestyle is the key…
- Eat plenty of vegetables, lean protein and whole grains and stay away from junk food to maintain your figure.
- Drink plenty of fluids as they hydrate the skin and connective tissue.
- Walking for an hour or 30 minutes of aerobics every other day helps keep your metabolism up and your weight steady.
- Do chest exercises to build and tone your pectoral muscles which give the appearance of perkier breasts. Perform push-ups and chest presses with a set of dumbbells daily for an improved look.
- We’ve all been scolded as a child to pay attention to our postures and this golden rule really comes back full circle to haunt us as adults. So again – pay attention to your posture, because a good posture lifts the breasts up! Make sure your back is straight, your shoulders are back and your head is level. It may get a bit tiring at first, but after a while it will just become second nature to you.
- Use sunscreen!!! Overexposure to ultraviolet rays contributes to the loss of elastin and collagen that keep your skin firm. Slather on a good amount of sunscreen to any exposed areas of your chest the next time you go out, and your skin will thank you.
Take care of your lingerie
Preventing breast sagging may seem like an impossible feat, however if we all just took in consideration all the simple life lessons we’re taught as children we wouldn’t have these problems in the first place. It may seem trite and way too simple, but really a healthy lifestyle is the key to everything it seems, including maintaining breasts with youthful appearance.
Of course there still are some things besides healthy lifestyle we should remember. For example, try not to toss your bras in the dryer after washing them because the heat only breaks down the elastic and material. Wear your bras only for nine months, then replace them, because wearing a worn-out bra can lead to saggy breasts. And remember ladies, bras are not the product to get stingy for. Buy a good bra for the price that you would usually spend on a couple terrible ones and invest in a bra that properly supports your breasts.